1 lb fresh apricots
1 tbsp honey, or to taste
1 1/4 cups water
2 ripe passion fruit, about 2 oz each or 2 whole star anise and 5 bruised cardamom pods
4 red currants, to decorate
2 raspberries, to decorate (optional)
2 strawberries, halved, to decorate (optional)
2 seedless grapes, halved, to decorate (optional)
1) Set the freezer to rapid freeze at least 2 hours before making the granita. Cut the apricots in half, discard the pits, and set aside.
2) Pour the honey into a pan and add the water. Scoop out the seeds and juice from the passion fruit and add these, or the spices, to the pan. Bring to a boil then reduce the heat to a simmer and cook gently for 5 minute.
3) Add the halved apricots to the pan, cover with a lid, and simmer for 10 – 12 minutes or until tender. Remove from the heat and cool.
4) Drain the apricots (discard the spices if used), reserve the juice, then transfer the apricots to a food processor and process for 1 to 2 minutes to form a purée, slowly adding a little of the juice to slacken, if necessary.
5) Pour the purée into a freezerproof container and place in the freezer for 2 to 2 1/2 hours, or until semi-frozen. Stir at least twice during the freezing time to break up the ice particles forming around the edges.
6) Once semi-frozen, serve spoonfuls in tall dessert glasses decorated with red currants, berries and grapes, if using. Return the freezer to its original setting afterward.
For more fun and healthy recipes, news, success stories and more, be sure to visit our Facebook often to see whats new!